When was the final time you washed your pillows? Not your pillowcases or protectors, however the precise pillows? Yeah, those with the yellow stains.
We lately mentioned how to wash traditional pillows and the way typically that ought to be carried out (a minimum of each six months), however what about reminiscence foam pillows?
Because it seems, you may’t simply pop reminiscence foam pillows within the washer as in the event that they had been the normal form stuffed with fluff, as a result of the agitation in each the washer and dryer may cause the froth to collapse, in accordance with cleaning expert Jolie Kerr. There are nonetheless, different methods to scrub reminiscence foam pillows. Right here’s what to know.
How one can wash reminiscence foam pillows
You have got a couple of totally different choices on the subject of cleansing reminiscence foam pillows, relying on what you’re attempting to perform.
Vacuum the pillows first
Vacuuming your memory foam pillow (ideally, using the upholstery attachment), should be the first step, regardless of whether you plan to move on to either/both of the steps below. This will help get rid of the flakes of dead skin and other types of dust and allergens buried in the foam. The team at Bedpillows.com recommends vacuuming your memory foam pillow each time your change your sheets (assuming you change your sheets weekly).
If the pillow has developed an odor (which makes sense, given the sweat and other secretions you’re oozing nightly), Kerr suggests sprinkling some baking soda on it, letting it sit for an hour, and then vacuuming it using the upholstery attachment. Deodorizing the pillow can happen on an as-needed basis, or every one to three months, she notes.
But while helpful and necessary, vacuuming isn’t really washing the pillow (that’s coming).
Remove the stains
Go ahead and skip this step if your pillows are stain-free. For everyone else, grab a clean white/off-white cloth and some all-purpose stain remover. Pour a small amount of the stain remover on the cloth (not directly on the pillow), then use it to dab (not rub) the stain. Keep blotting the stain until it’s gone, adding more stain remover to your cloth as necessary.
Next, thoroughly rinse the cloth, then dab the stain again with water, in order to rinse it. If you’re going to stop here, Kerr stresses the importance of letting the pillow dry completely before putting a pillowcase back on.
Wash the pillow
When you’ve completed the steps above, it’s time to deep clean the memory foam pillow. Here’s what to do:
- Fill a bathtub or large basin with lukewarm water and no more than one tablespoon of gentle detergent. (Bear in mind: Extra detergent doesn’t imply your pillow will get cleaner. It means you’ll must spend way more time rinsing it out.)
- Submerge the pillow, massaging it as you go, and ensuring that the entire pillow is saturated.
- Take away the pillow from the bathtub and squeeze out the soapy water. Then, put it again within the tub, therapeutic massage it some extra, and squeeze out the water once more. Repeat this course of a 3rd time.
- Drain the bathtub, and squeeze the soapy water out of the pillow.
- Refill the bathtub with clear water. Repeat the dunking, massaging, squeezing course of above till the water runs clear and the pillow is rinsed.
- Drain the bathtub once more. Press the pillow down into the bathtub or basin to take away the surplus water, whereas protecting it flat.
- Take the pillow out of the bathtub and place it on a clear, dry towel. Then, place a second clear, dry towel on prime of the pillow. Press all the way down to squeeze out extra water.
- Permit the pillow to air dry, ideally open air in direct daylight (or indoors beneath a ceiling fan, if that’s not potential). Be certain the pillow is totally dry earlier than placing on a pillowcase.
How typically must you wash a reminiscence foam pillow?
In keeping with Kerr, reminiscence foam pillows are extra immune to mud and different allergens than conventional pillows, so that they don’t must be washed fairly as typically. She recommends doing it every six to 12 months.